Monday, January 15, 2018

Power

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being...Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen." 
Ephesians 3:16, 20, 21 NIV

"...we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.  We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ." 
2 Thes. 1:11-12 NIV


"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness." 
1 Peter 1:3 NIV

I use weights to make my muscles more powerful.  I read books and exchange thoughts with others to keep my mind powerful.  When it comes to summoning power for my spirit, I'm not on my own.  In fact, there is nothing I can do.  For years, I've prayed the above verses for my husband and kids, but in this unexpected season, I'm desperately praying them for myself.

Power.  For our neighbors in Marulaon village, the Lavukaleve word is "kia(m)".  If I give them ibuprofen, they comment on how powerful it is.  They believe that leaves like roroyo have power.

The book I'm currently enjoying

I've started taking some exercise classes at the gym.  I have ZERO coordination and submit myself to be a learner.  My ineptitude as I flail my arms and legs has reminded me of what my students in orchestra must feel from time to time as I throw new, harder tasks at them.  

"True humility can bear to see its own utter weakness and foolishness revealed, because it never expected anything from itself, and knows that its only hope and expectation must be in God."  ~Hannah Whitall Smith

Feeling powerless is so easy right now.  Our desire is for Aaron to go back to the Solomon Islands to make month long solo trips to work with the Lavukal translation team.  But God has us in a waiting period until our monthly financial support has reached 100%.  I face classrooms of lovely orchestra students every day and beg the Lord for the power to be the kind of teacher they need and for Him to shine through me somehow.  This is not where we thought we would be as 2018 begins.  But as we walk in obedience and our "utter weakness and foolishness" is revealed, God's power sustains us.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My heart both smiles and aches as I read this. Oh, the paradox of being children of the living God! It feels like a fight and yet a glorious victory all wound up into one!

Love you, friend, and I'm so thankful that God put you in my life to hold me accountable and close to the only true Source of power.