Friday, May 15, 2015

Mother's Day

 

For all of the normal reasons, my heart was full on Mother's Day.
 

Most people are happy to be able to spend time with their mothers and grandmothers and sisters.
 

 
But I, always the one whose eyes overflow at the drop of the hat, sat in church and boohooed.
 


Because I was hearing God's Word in my heart language,
 
 
because I was surrounded by the harmonies of my extended family as we sang praises together,

 
because I was seeing my grandmother for the first time since my grandfather died,
 
 
because I've been blessed with a heritage of imperfect, but godly men and women who loved the Lord and have sought to follow Him with all their hearts,
 

because even "normal" things become extraordinarily special when you don't have them for years at a time.
 


My thoughtful brother bought each of us mamas a corsage for Mother's Day.  That's five of us, my two grandmothers, my mother, my sister, and myself,
 
 
who have had the privilege of nourishing another body inside our own and passing down life to another generation.



Only one of my siblings couldn't make it for the weekend, so we left a space, in age order, of where he should be.  They make me look short!
 


I'm so grateful that my children have the opportunities to build relationships with their great-grandparents.
 
 
After we finished taking pictures and everybody's faces were hurting from smiling for the camera and laughing together,
 


We drove over to see Aaron's mom.  Did you catch that?  How can we possibly be so blessed?!?  Both of our moms and my two grandmothers, all in the same town.
 

More pictures, more hugs, more delicious strawberries straight from the farmer,
 

 
I don't think my heart could be any fuller.
 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOO stealing some of these for next year's calendar! You got some precious shots. What a great day that was.

Love,
Liss