Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Broken


Since our return to the Solomons almost two years ago, Aaron and I have learned a lot about relationships through watching other people and especially as we've worked through relationships with our children and with each other.  Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Broken" reminded me that the first half of the equation was remembering that each of us are broken & imperfect:

The first waffle out of our stove top waffle maker
always fall apart
"We don't have to pretend about it
We don't have to keep acting like we're all okay
If we lift our lives to the cross
We'll see some reality
That we're all broken
And we all have a Savior"
But I think a bigger piece of that equation is that Satan loves to destroy our relationship with the Lord.  And what better way to do that than to break our relationship with other people?

Aaron's Easter Egg, he redeemed the brokenness and
made a Venn diagram on his egg!

When my relationship with Aaron isn't going smoothly, I have to remind myself that my true fight isn't against my husband.  It's against the destroyer, the enemy.
"Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me.  Take up shield and buckler; arise and come to my aid.  Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me.  Say to my soul, 'I am your salvation.'"  Psalm 35:1-3

Katherine's special necklace from the village,
broken the first day we returned to Honiara

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."  Ephesians 6:12
"What if this battle...isn't the curse we've always thought it to be?  What if it's actually the very thing, if brought under control, that can lead us to a better understanding of God?  What if we could actually get to the place where we thanked God for letting us face this battle because of the rich treasures we discovered on the battlefield?"  ~Lisa TerKerust

Plastic breaks easily here in
the hot and humid tropics
When I'm frustrated with one of my kids, I have to stop and remind myself, "My kids aren't the enemy.  Satan is the enemy."  That thought changes my whole perspective.  Instead of fighting against somebody I love, I appeal to God to help me fight against the true enemy.  I become the Good Samaritan, the "Hurt Healer" instead of one of the "bad guys" hiding beside the road who actually aids the enemy in the battle. 
"Give us aid against the enemy, for the help of man is worthless.  With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies."  Psalm 60:11-12

2 comments:

Bartokhound said...

This is the best blog entry ever, Joanna. Thank you for this God-ordained perspective on brokenness, the true enemy and the Savior of all.

Kayla

Kecia said...

I agree with Kayla! ^