Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Marulaon Woman's Daybook

Marulaon house
Just for today...Monday, February 2
From the learning rooms...Benjamin starts Geometry today, Shakespeare's Twelfth Night is Sarah and Benjamin's reader for the week; Katherine begins a much needed unit on American money; Olivia finishes up her study of the Middle East.
well
Outside my window...the well just down the hill from us.  It's less briny than usual because of all the rain we've had lately.
A heart full of gratitude...for the Solomon Island marine department who issued a warning for all ships to stay in harbor tonight because of the high winds and rains anticipated tonight.
Olivia & Katherine playing
One of my favorite things...my kids who are so willing to go out and play with the Marulaon kids.  I'm so proud of them.
On my bookshelf..."The Kate Greenaway Book:  A Collection of Illustration, Verse and Text" by Bryan Holme.  My mom found this out of print book at a used book sale and gave it to Sarah as a birthday present several years ago.  I'm loving the sweet illustrations of this artist that I never knew existed! 
Crafting in the kitchen...yogurt and granola for breakfast, chicken pilau (recipe from "More With Less") for lunch, and, my personal favorite, the ubiquitous leftovers for supper.
bedroom corner
Around the house...we often get asked what our village house looks like.  It's the nicest house village house I've ever seen, and I'm so very thankful for the family who lived here before us and began to build this house.  I love the blue we chose for the walls of our bedroom, and my little corner nightstand holds my fan, my Mary Engelbreit calendar, and my African violet I bought in Honiara. 
Pondering these words..."Life is likely to hold many forms of torture and dismay for that unhappy person and for all who refuse to receive with thanksgiving instead of complaint the place in life God has chosen for them.  The torture is self-inflicted, for God has not rejected their prayers.  He knows better than any of us do what furthers our salvation.  Our true happiness is to be realized precisely through his refusals which are always mercies.  His choice is flawlessly contrived to give the deepest kind of joy as soon as it is embraced."  ~Elisabeth Elliot
cooking pancakes MON
A peek into my corner of the world...with all of the rain we've had in the last week, we haven't been able to get out and about to visit with our neighbors as much as we would like.  Both yesterday and today, we've enjoyed a break in the rain of an hour or two in mid-afternoon.  We found Barrett was cooking pancakes as a quick afternoon snack for several little ones.
Aiden eating pancakes MON

2 comments:

Bartokhound said...

We love seeing places we now know and faces we now know and love, too. We love YOU GUYS!

Love,

Jayla

Kecia said...

I love Kate Greenaway! And Rebecca is finishing up learning about India and will start the Middle East in a week or so. :)