Monday, January 5, 2015

Honiara Woman's Daybook

Just for today...Monday, January 5


From the learning rooms...we started back to school last week.  Sarah, Benjamin, and Olivia are hard at work on research papers, and we only have a few weeks left with the internet available.
 
On my bookshelf..."Every Bitter Thing is Sweet" by Sara Hagerty.  Thanks, Gayly, for continuing to build my library of books here in the Solomon Islands!
 
Cooking in the kitchen...some Double Chocolate Peppermint Crunch cookies made with Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips (yay for care packages!).  We have two meetings this afternoon, and the cookies will help liven everything up.  Supper will be in the crockpot since Aaron and I will leave just after lunch.


  
One of my favorite things...books that special people have given me over the years.  I love it when people write in the front cover of a book, handwriting is such a personal thing.  These books are now on my shelf here in the Solomon Islands, and my kids are enjoying them.


Wearing out my knees in prayer...for our kids' visas to be renewed.  Aaron and I are finally approved!
 
Pondering these words..."Adoration makes walking with God more than just reacting to a series of externals.  Adoration calls the circumstances, no matter how high or low, into proper submission in our hearts.  Adoration roots us in a reality that no amount of pain and no amount of blessing can shake.  Adoration steadies us.  It repatterns our thinking.  It centers our lives around a God-man instead of forever trying to make sense of the God-man through the lenses of our circumstances.  Adoration aligns us under Him.  This is the place where life is found."  ~Sara Hagerty
 
A few plans for the rest of the week...a couple of meetings this afternoon, an Epiphany gathering to watch "Amahl and the Night Visitors" tomorrow night, beginning village shopping
 
 A peek into my corner of the world...Katherine found one of our favorite caterpillars and snapped a picture of it near our front porch.  We expect this little fellow to spin a beautiful golden home soon.



1 comment:

Bartokhound said...

I love this post, Joanna. Love the "old" inscriptions in your books, and have a new love for the photo of your Honiara home, as it now looks familiar to me from a "I have walked those steps" sort of way. Forget walking: I had Christmas 2014 in that house with Team Choate and my hubby. Ah, sweet memories!

Love,

Kayla