Saturday, December 20, 2014

Weekend Wonders–December 13-14

Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits -- ...who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103:2, 4-5
God has been so sweet this weekend to comfort me in my sorrow!
white butterfly
His creation here in Marulaon Village has refreshed me.  A little white butterfly really enjoyed my seedlings on the porch.  And with the bands of rain alternating with sunshine that we've been getting, beautiful double rainbows have been common, too.
ship
Since the Kosco has switched villages for its stop in the West Russells, we hardly ever see a ship stop here in Marulaon.  But this weekend, two ships stopped to pick up timber and copra.  Our kids enjoyed paddling and swimming out to this rusty ship, the Tomasi, because it was so close to the shore.  Watching our kids out there playing with tons of village kids made me smile.
When I got the e-mail about my grandfather's death, Aaron was outside weeding with the community while the rest of us were in the house doing school.  I sent Benjamin quickly out to get Aaron, and my neighbors knew that something wasn't quite right in the Choate household.  After I cried buckets of tears on Aaron's shoulders, he went back out to join the community and to tell my friends what was going on.  In just a few minutes, my friend, Margaret, was knocking at my door and hugging my neck to share in my sorrow.  The other ladies offered to come in a group and sit with me, the way that Lavukal women do after a death, but she asked them to let me stay with just my family quietly at the house.
platter of fish
This morning after church, Eta brought a fish she caught the night before (even though she had to help feed her family on the remaining few fish that she caught).  Josa brought some crab and lelenga.  I took a picture of the bounty, and within just a few more minutes, Margaret was at my door with more fish and lelenga.  Aaron mentioned that it was "funeral food" and made me cry again.  We don't usually get this much food from our friends, and I know it was their way of trying to comfort me.  And we LOVE their food!  The Lord sent so many good things my way this weekend to renew me.

No comments: