Thursday, December 11, 2014

Thursday, December 4

Yesterday, I went over to teach Margaret how to lay out a pattern on top of material, but she wasn't there.  She has a new grandbaby!  So, she was over at the clinic helping her daughter-in-law with the new little one, another boy.  This is the fifth baby born in Marulaon since June, and they've all been boys.
I am loving reading "As Soon As I Fell" by Kay Bruner!  Even though Kay arrived in the Solomons more than twenty years ago, so many things are the same.  If you have a chance, ask your library to order this book or buy it yourself (on paper or on Kindle).  The book will give you a really good picture of life here in the Solomon Islands.
IMG_4640 - Copy (267x400)
This morning, our friend, Hensy, came by.  He is the Fly Harbour Primary School chairman.  He gave me an invitation to attend the graduation tomorrow as the Guest of Honor.  The man who was originally asked to be the Guest of Honor backed out at the last minute, so they asked me to fill in since I teach my own kids.  I really didn't want to accept.  I'm perfectly happy being "vava feo" - just a mama.  I work hard to be just one of the girls, bringing food when asked, helping wherever my friends are helping, and hiding in the crowd whenever possible.  I really DON'T like being up in front of people, no matter what language they speak.  But I feel like I need to accept the offer.  So after school this afternoon, I must go find some friends who can help me figure out what to say in Lavukaleve.

No comments: