Sunday, July 20, 2014

Monday, July 14

We got a good rain for 10-15? minutes (I wasn't really counting at 3 a.m.) last night. Aaron got up to check and make sure that the water was actually going into the tanks. It was :-) And I was thankful that the taps were off. I've often found them open and just dripping, dripping, dripping...So while I was on the porch with a flashlight reading my Bible, I saw people sneaking to the big rain tank by the church holding big buckets. And right now, girls are lined up at the church tank with tons of water bottles. So thankful! And Aaron said our tank is up two inches.  I feel like it's our "manna" for the day.
Kosco came this morning around 6:00. They made some garbled announcements which I couldn't understand, so I walked down to the shore to find friends who heard the announcement. The gist of it was that, depending on cargo, they might come back "next week" on a long trip out West via the Russells. That would be perfect timing for us! But holding it VERY loosely.
Benjamin holding shark head 7-13
While I was down on the shore, I found a friend cleaning two sharks. Here's the story, a different family got word that their daughter, in Form 3 (9th grade) at a good school, made straight A's. She's always been a good student. So the grandfather killed a pig! And traveled back with the pig on the Kosco to deliver the "congratulations" to his granddaughter.
shark's mouth 7-13
They discarded the innards of the pig, and when the shark family heard about it, they rescued the innards because they make great bait. Result: two sharks.
shark liver 7-13
I discovered they eat the liver, too.  There's not much iron in my neighbors' diets, so I was excited that this sweet family will get an extra boost of iron today.
shark being cleaned 7-13
I watched as several little girls scraped the skin off the shark with shells. And I got two big slabs.
two slabs of shark meat
This will be my first time to cook shark. My friend, Sylvester, suggested I cut it up and boil it with lime leaves. So, I asked Aaron to get some leaves from our lime trees in the garden.  He takes "brain breaks" from time to time and looks for something to get him out of the house for a few minutes to rest his brain.
shark in pot with lime leaves 7-14
And we will be eating shark for lunch today :-) I love it how God provided when I didn't have a clue what I was going to cook to feed my family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And how was the shark? Was it tasty?

(Liss)