Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Friday, July 18

Last night, we celebrated Olivia and Mama's birthdays with a beautiful chocolate cake that Sarah made for the occasion.  

birthday cake 7-18

Today's plans included work in the garden, so Sarah, Katherine, Mama, and I, along with about ten village girls and young women (all members of the Girls' Friendly Society), all went to the garden to plant uvikola, umalau, and pau, three roots crops and over one hundred heaps dug.  I also planted some leafy greens alongside a few green bean seeds.  God gave us a lovely overcast morning for our work, and we only needed about three hours to clear, weed, and plant.  We came back and served them grape Kool-aid (my personal favorite!) and popcorn as a thank you to go alongside the money they had earned for their organization.  I'm so thankful for their help! 

sewing supplies 7-18

After the girls left, the rain began to fall.  And it fell all afternoon long!  Our rain tanks slowly filled up, and I'm sure my garden was very, very happy for it's big drink.  My mom brought out some sewing supplies donated by several of her friends, many of them ladies that knew me when I was small.  So, while the rain fell and walking around the village would have been difficult, Olivia and I sorted the thread, elastic, and notions into three piles to match the three groups in our village.  I'm looking forward to distributing the goodies tomorrow to my friends around the village.

No comments: