Thursday, March 6, 2014

Another "normal" day

Yesterday, the day began with a SITAG Advisory Committee meeting for Aaron while I worked on school with the kids.  Knowing that today would be a busy day, the kids and I got a little bit of extra schoolwork done, too.  All the guys on the Advisory Committee (except Aaron) have come down with some yucky virus including fever and intestinal distress, but they still met and dealt with business.  The afternoon was full of Lavukaleve study of grammar and vocab for Aaron while I finished up school with the kids and got ready for company in the evening.


We enjoyed celebrating a birthday supper with this team before they headed off for a much needed vacation.  And the "birthday boy" really like his chocolate chip birthday cheesecake, made by our local chef, Sarah.
 



This morning, Aaron headed off to town bright and early to shop for some fresh fruits and veggies for a village team.  These sweet friends of ours don't have a very good market in their village, and we love sending "care packages" out their way.  They have a ship leaving tonight for their area. 
 

 
While Aaron was still in town, I switched gears and put on my SITAG chauffeur's hat.  Olivia is going to miss this little cutie pie while his family goes on vacation.
 

I drove one of the cars with this family and their luggage.  They were all checked in and eating sandwiches when I left to drive back home and get some lunch (yay for leftovers!) of my own.  Aaron arrived home just before I did, and he had picked up this beautiful kingfish at Honiara's Central Market.  We discovered Grill Mates seasoning packets when some friends included them in a care package, and those spices make preparing fish so easy!  So six pounds of kingfish went in a bag to marinate while Aaron and I each grabbed a vehicle for the next airport run.
 


Aaron drove this family, and I drove another couple to catch the same flight, and this time we had enough room for Olivia and Katherine to come along for the ride.  Katherine kept my car laughing with knock-knock jokes all the way to the airport.
 


Olivia is really going to miss her other little buddy.  I think Olivia will either end up pediatrician or a veterinarian!
 

After we got everybody checked in and settled at the airport, Aaron and I decided that we should take advantage of the nearby Frangipani Ice factory on the way home.  Buying ice cream direct from the factory is cheaper than buying it in town, but when we drive a SITAG vehicle, we have to pay for every kilometer.  So, for financial reasons, a trip to the ice cream factory only happens if we are already driving out to the airport.
 


We bought a container of vanilla ice cream and a container of passion fruit ice cream to take home, and for a treat, we let the girls get small containers of ice cream to eat right away.
 

 
When we got home, Aaron boxed up the care packages for the village team and drove down to the wharf while the kids and I fixed a really nice supper with that gorgeous fish, local potatoes, pineapple, and a green salad.  I'm so proud of our kids for the ways they pitched in to allow Aaron and me to be gone so much of the day.  Sitting down together at the table after such a busy (but fun!) "normal" day gave me great joy!

No comments: