Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Thursday, December 19

I scheduled “leaf school” with Leku and her mom, Sera, for this afternoon.  When I finished imputting all of my kids grades for week 16, I popped a big bowl of popcorn and walked down to Leku's armed with a camera, a notebook, some family pictures, and a pen.  I've been asking around the village for someone to teach me a little bit about all of the leaves they have here.  God has provided so many amazing medicines in the leaves that surround my neighbors.  Everybody I asked pointed me to Sera as a keeper of knowledge.  
roroyo - Thurs4

We began by looking at family pictures.  People here have a really hard time grasping that I still have grandparents alive.  I'm so blessed that I'm the first born and that both of my parents are first born, so I have great memories of young grandparents who played and laughed with me.  I loved watching my kids interact with their great-grandparents while we were on furlough.

Then we moved on to our leaf lessons.  I learned about some leaves that are good for headaches and cuts and a sore belly.  I also learned about leaves that are good to take out to the garden to keep the evil spirits away (like the roroyo below) and to set on fire to wave at big rain clouds and keep them away. 
IMG_0521 - Thursday

We ended up in a common conversation, wasn't everything about America good and everything about the Solomon Islands rubbish?  I told Leku again how thankful I was that God put our family here.  How there are things in each culture that I like and, honestly, things in each culture that I didn't like.  But most importantly, that I wanted to be content and enjoy the work God had for me, wherever He placed me.  And today, that place is Marulaon Village on a tiny island in the South Pacific.
When I returned to the house, I found Sarah and Foamela finishing up the skirt for Christmas.  It looks great, and I'm looking forward to watching Sarah dance with the other girls next week. 

IMG_0522 - Thurs3IMG_0525 - Copy Thurs2

No comments: