Wednesday, April 17, 2013

With the warm and humid start to the day and windows wide open, we feel just a tiny bit like we're back home in the Solomon Islands.  Sarah got up early and made breakfast for our family, yummy apple cheese biscuits and egg cups.
 
Apple-Cheese Biscuits
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 3/4 cup biscuit baking mix
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tart apple, cored, peeled and diced
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp milk
 
Stir together sugar, coconut and cinnamon in a cup.  Place butter in another cup; set aside.  In a medium bowl, stir together biscuit mix, cheese and apple; make a well in the center.  Add milk all at once, stirring just until dough holds together.  Form dough into 16 balls.  Dip in butter; roll in sugar mixture.  Arrange in a greased 9" round baking pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.  Makes 16
 


Yesterday, I found three different kinds of mint (sweet, chocolate, and orange citrus), so I bought one of each.  We're having fun comparing and contrasting the leaves and the taste! 


Now, I've got to get my morning glory seeds on to soak since I forgot to put them in water last night.  Hoping to plant morning glories and moonflowers in the midst of my lantana.  Even though we only have two months left here in Texas, I want to enjoy every bit of the flowers and "home".  And I hope that the family that comes after us enjoys the bright spot of color along with a sense of home, too.
 
 
Since we got back from New Mexico, the weather has been so perfect for school outside.  Katherine and I braved the blustery winds ahead of the cold front expected to arrive tonight.  I love home school!

6 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

oh, I wish we had outside school weather! It's cold here again and they are saying snow again tonight with the temp around 26! Ack!!!
I tucked the garden in again yesterday with plastic coverings (sort of like cold frame gardening) and I am hoping that things survive. The high today- 44, same yesterday and that's what we expect tomorrow... hoping Spring returns on Friday.
Breakfast sounds like it was awesome!

The dB family said...

That's one of the things I miss about homeschooling.

Mmmm, I can hardly wait for fresh herbs again.

I'm going to pin that recipe. It sounds sooo good!

Blessings!
Deborah

Bartokhound said...

Those biscuits sound so yummy. And egg cups? My, oh my! Sarah, I wish you were here, so I could have woken up early and helped you in the kitchen.
Missing you all. All that wind you've been having? It's been 52 mph gusts today. Add into that equation all the loose dirt around here and you can imagine our skies are not blue. They are brown. I'm glad this weather wasn't here for your visit. It's icky, stay-inside weather. Instead, we'll drive to Canyon, TX, tomorrow to rehearse some Mozart! And have Chick-Fil-A. Does it get any better?!
Lots of love,
Jayla and Bartok

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oooo, the cinnamon cheesecake is SO TEMPTING!

And good for you - planting flowers that you may not get to enjoy, but someone will - I love morning glories, especially the blue ones!

Julie

Leslie said...

Which mint do you like best? I saw one at Kroger that was grapefruit mint. That certainly caught my eye!

Choate Family said...

Leslie,

I can't decide which kind of mint is my favorite. We tried the chocolate mint mixed with watermelon, and it tasted quite different from the sweet mint. We'll just have to keep experimenting :-)

Joanna