Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Thankful...


After eye appointments and a photo shoot (thanks to a friend who took the pics that include me) this morning, I've put on my pajamas and crawled back into bed with a cup of Candy Cane Lane tea and a box of tissues.  So thankful for the simple tortilla soup I had already planned for supper since I think all of us are beginning to sniffle.
 

Also grateful for my amazing family who is keeping this household running smoothly (school, meals, putting up clean clothes).  We frequently call ourselves the "Choate Team" in jest, but we really do make a great team.


And will wonders never cease?  This is the one night this week with nothing on the calendar.  Thank you, Lord!  Time to snuggle, sip our nourishing soup, and watch "White Christmas" with my kids.


 
Tortilla Soup (from First Place Favorites)
 
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can tomatoes
1 small can green chilies
1/2 cup picante
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can beef bouillon
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can chicken bouillon
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can tomato juice
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup sliced zucchini
6 corn tortillas cut into 1/2" strips
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheese
 
1.  Saute onions, green peppers and garlic in oil in a large Dutch oven until tender; add next 9 ingredients.  Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
 
2.  Add tortillas and simmer 5 minutes.  Top with cheese in bowls.  Serves 6
 
 

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Cute pictures! And I like that your soup has zucchini. I need to give your recipe a try. I hope you feel better soon. You would never know from looking at your beautiful self that you were not feeling well.

Betsy de Cruz said...

Your soup recipe looks great. I also love week nights when you don't have plans and can stay home!!! Hope everyone gets over their colds.

Choate Family said...

Awww, thanks for your kind words. Doing the best we can to get healthy around here! We appreciate your prayers :-)

us5 said...

we're sniffling together here, too. :} get well quick!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Great pics of your kids... and you too! Wish I looked that good when I'm sick ;D

This may sound funny, but after months (years!) of pics from the tropics it's almost strange to see your kids fully clothed!

Julie

The Hibbard Family said...

Gorgeous pictures of a gorgeous family! Hopefully very soon we can see all of those faces in person. Love y'all!