Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Texas State Fair




Big Tex, who turned sixty this year, started our tour of the Texas State Fair.  We had perfect weather, too!  A little overcast and balmy.  And even though today was Dr. Pepper Tuesday, a cheap day, the crowds were thin.  Just another example of God's good gifts!



Our family favorite fried food (try saying that five times fast!) was the fried Samoas.  Since the Girl Scouts celebrated 100 years in Texas this year, they had a huge exhibit hall (with free Trefoils) and fried Samoas continued the theme.  Yum!  One plate was plenty for our family to share.


We met Borden's Elsie the Cow, watched bees at work, and enjoyed the agricultural hall with lots of free samples.  Some Pecan Creamed Honey from Desert Creek Honey came home with us as a souvenir.  It was delicious on our waffles this morning!


We did end up riding the Texas Star, the kids loved it.




However, I think my favorite part of the fair was this poster in the booth with Elsie the Cow:


3 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

Looks like you had a great time with lasting memories! I love the poster! I think we each need one:)That Ferris Wheel is huge! I took the kids on one in Houston a few years ago at spring break and they loved it. Not many ferris wheels come to our part of the world with all the wind:)
See you soon:)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

What a great day! I'm glad your third/multi-culture kids are getting to experience some of the fun parts of American culture :D

Julie

Betsy de Cruz said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I'm a Texan too, but never got to the state fair. So glad you're able to enjoy many good things about being back home!

I laughed by the way at your comment on my blog when you said you maid moussaka about once a week. Never would have guessed it in the Solomon Islands!! :-)