Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mama's Hands

Last night, I functioned as "sous seamstress" for my mother. I ironed and pinned while the experienced seamstress crafted a gorgeous red velvet cape for Sarah. My memories of childhood revolve around my mother's hands: hands always helping those in need, warm chocolate chip cookies mixed by her hands, sicknesses comforted by her hands offering Vicks vapor rub, her hands opening wide to welcome visitors into her home, and scads of beautiful "cello-able" dresses her hands made from fabric and patterns she and I picked out together.  Now, she has added another generation of children who get to experience the many gifts that flow from her hands. 


"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks....She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy....She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:17, 20, 27

1 comment:

Kecia said...

Oh, Joanna, what a beautiful post and picture! I love it!