Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11



While we were exercising this morning, I noticed that the flags in front of a nearby housing complex were at half mast.  When we came in, I asked the kids if they knew why.  After I told them today's date, they knew. Our favorite picture book about the attack in New York is Fireboat:  The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey, but over the weekend in Little Rock, I found another book that is sure to become a family favorite.  14 Cows for America blends cultural differences as a Maasai tribe struggles to share the burden of the attacks with America.  My favorite line from the book:

"Because there is no nation so powerful it cannot be wounded, nor a people so small they cannot offer mighty comfort."

May our family be known as small people who offer comfort from the Mighty One.

1 comment:

Abi's Blog said...

Hi Joanna,
Someday I hope you can take the children to see the 911 Memorial. It is so touching. When Kristin and I were in NY on a choir trip, we went to the top of the WTC; and earlier this year we were able to visit the memorial. What a blessing!
Ava