Monday, June 6, 2011

Honiara Woman's Daybook

For Today...Monday, June 6

Outside my window...dark clouds over the ocean and a brisk breeze today.  Think I'll be hanging the clothes out to dry on the porch.

I am thinking...about humility.  Ann's book has me pondering this character trait, especially how it relates to service in cross-cultural situations and with my family.


From the learning rooms...Confucius, Julius Ceasar, Sarah - avoiding cliches in writing, adding & subtracting fractions; Benjamin - beginning a research paper on the state of Texas, triangles; Olivia - exclamations & questions, mulitiplying & dividing by 9; Katherine - it's farm week!


I am thankful for...the bathroom just across the hall and that we have indoor plumbing.  This stomach virus has come back with a vengeance.


From the kitchen...muffins and scrambled eggs for breakfast, ham and cheese sandwiches on the AMAZING cheese rolls from Honiara's Hot Bread Kitchen, and pizza for supper.


I am wearing...my favorite long twirly, lacey white skirt that I found at a second hand store in Australia.  Oh, and a brown and white sleeveless top that my mom left when she was here.  Bare feet, as usual.

I am reading...still munching my way through "One Thousand Gifts" and loving it.

I am hoping...that our internet begins to work more reliably soon.  I think we had better e-mail access in the village than we do here in Honiara!

I am creating...a care package to send out to another SITAG village team.

I am hearing...the doors slamming in the breeze, strains of the workshop down in the new translation center as they get their morning started with praise

Around the house...still boxes waiting to be unpacked, a Yankee "Beach Walk" votive burning sent by a bloggy friend

One of my favorite things...waking up on time and with clarity of thought.


Pondering these words..."I used to think that God's gifts were on shelves one above the other, and that the taller we grew in Christian character the easier we whould reach them.  I find now that God's gifts are on shelves one beaneath the other, and that it is not a question of growing taller but of stooping lower and that we have to go down, always down, to get His best gifts." - F.B. Meyer (from "One Thousand Gifts")

A few plans for the rest of the week...finishing the list I started last week

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...my lovely gloves that help me feel elegant while I'm washing dishes.  Now all I need are the pearls and high heels!

No comments: