Saturday, March 5, 2011

Friday, March 4

Moving Day by Helen M. Hartman, edited by the Choate family

The moving is all over, The ship has chugged away,--
And I stand in consternation
Where confusion holds full sway.
Around me heaps of boxes
Bulging -- bursting -- gaping wide!
As I look, I wish to blazes
I could run away and hide.

Oh! the days that lie before me
While I clear away the mess
And endeavor to establish
Law and order, more or less,
Seeking spoons and hunting dishes;
Where's the towel? where's the soap?
Salt and pepper, tea and coffee?
Why, you're sitting on them, dope!

Now we've put away the kettles,
But there's still much to be done;
Countless errands keep us busy
Inside, outside, on the run;
Hauling buckets, finding spiders,
Where's the bug spray, my yard is lush!
Hurry, hurry; do keep busy!
We can finish if we rush.

spring cleaning 2

Then at last the house is cosy,
Tables polished; windows shine;
Books are gleaming on clean bookshelves --
The effect is really fine.
Everything has been remembered;
Our address is in the mail
And we wait for friendly callers
Who are coming without fail.

spring cleaning

But I think, Oh, may I never
Never, never move again!
In this house I'd like so much Forever to remain!
But to this life God's called me,
His grace lifts me when I'm down,
So I'll gladly keep on moving
Back and forth to Marulaon.

2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Joanna,

You're amazing! Your adapted poem is wonderful, as is the description of the trip in the post below. Thankful for the captain's wife, indeed!

Glad you are safely to your Marulaon home,

Julie

Abi's Blog said...

Praying daily - Thanking God for people like you!!
Love and Blessings,
Ava