Thursday, February 10, 2011

Translator Selection

Last Friday, Kiko called to say she was in Honiara. She called on a cousin's husband's cellphone, and the call quickly dropped before we had a chance to visit. I knew where she was staying, so I called her back only to find the land line was out of service. We had company walking in the door, so I didn't try again until Saturday. I got the same message telling me that the land line was out of service, so I called information. The lady who answered the phone informed me that the number had been disconnected last August, but she could give me the cell phone number. My first thought was, "This would never happen in the States!", but I wrote down the cell phone number anyway.
I debated whether or not to call, but my friendship for Kiko finally won over my timidity to call the cell phone of a man I've only met once. He answered, I introduced myself, and soon discovered that Kiko was right there. We enjoyed a great chat and decided that our family would come down to the wharf to see her off on the Bikoi.

Early Sunday morning, our family wove through the throng of people bearing a water bottle straight from the freezer (cold water - lafi lomisa - is such a treat for our friends) as a gift for Kiko. Not only did we find Kiko, but we found Chief Leonard as well! This turned out to be a real blessing, because Aaron was able to catch up on what the Translation Committee had been doing in our absence. Aaron discovered that the committee is planning to meet on Sunday to choose translators, and he was able to discuss some details with Leonard about future training and workshops. God's timing is so good!

Watching the Bikoi pull away from wharf without us onboard was very strange! But it will be our turn soon enough. Aaron was able to send a public service announcement on Solomon Island Broadcasting Company for all Lavukal translators to meet this coming Sunday for the selection of translators. Please, hold them up in your prayers as they seek God's design for the Lavukal Bible translation project.

1 comment:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

What a "coincidence", yah? ;D

Oh... so that's the Bikoi! Glad to see a picture of it that shows the whole boat. Will be praying for you all!

Julie