Monday, February 14, 2011

Honiara Woman's Daybook

For Today...Monday, February 14, 2011

Outside my window...a little breeze blowing the spider webs that span from tree to tree and catch the sunlight filtered down between the leaves

I am thinking...about Ann's words so appropriate for Valentine's Day (and for every day)
From the learning rooms...finishing up Sonlight Cores 5 and K this week which means we're finishing our study of Africa, Katherine tackles letter I this week (guess we are going to have to drive to Frangipanni Ice for ice cream!)

I am thankful for...God's guidance.

From the kitchen...pink smoothies for breakfast, a double date for lunch, and polpettone for supper. Trying this recipe for the first time from "Sacred Feasts: From a Monastery Kitchen"

I am reading..."An Island Garden" by Celia Thaxter, illustrated by Childe Hassam. My mom found it at a library book sale, and this book is a feast for the eyes!

I am hoping...that apples finally show up this week. It's my last chance to can - I've learned not to try to can during the last week in Honiara.

I am creating...in the "life-medium of the moment". "Jump into the life-medium of the moment, whether it's oatmeal or beach sand or Dr. Suess' rhymes or the soup you're making for dinner." --Valerie Schultz
Noticing that...the humidity was down this morning. Usually when I exercise in the mornings, dew covers the plants on the side of the road and the distant islands are hazy. But today, the plants were dry and I could clearly see Savo and Ngella across the ocean. Yay for lower humidity!
Pondering these words..."Every day I ask God to lead me in his work with eyes wide shut -- constanly open to the needs and challenges and unceasingly shut in prayer." Women of the Harvest
On my mind...beginning to prepare for furlough. Even though it's more than a year away, we have to begin making decisions and reservation for housing now. Please begin praying for Aaron to have wisdom concerning school at GIAL in Dallas and that God will provide our housing, transportation, and financial needs.

I am hearing...kids gathering sack lunches and quickly finishing school as we head out the door for our date

Around the house...flags from different countries in Africa printed from here, a new puzzle spread out on the table sent by a kids' group from a church in Fort Wayne

One of my favorite things...sharing dessert with my hubby

A few plans for the rest of the week...enjoying more precious company, refilling the gas cylinders, getting the prescriptions for all of the antiobiotics we will take out with us, picking up the new 2000 gallon rain tank for Marulaon and hopefully shipping it out to the Russells early

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...Sarah's treats for our SITAG neighbors

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I choked up at work when I read the comment about making plans for furlough. Hearing this makes it seem not so far away! We are SO VERY EXCITED for you to meet your nephew (and the kids their cousin), and while I know there is still much work to be done, the anticipation is kind of delicious. Hope that carries over a little as you head to the village again; know that you are always, always on my mind. Love, Liss

Nahna said...

These look yummy!!!

Hope you had a happy day.

Love you
Nahna and Papa

Kecia said...

Happy Valentine's Day--those cupcakes look scrumptious!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Happy Valentine's Day! And hurray for lowered humidity :D

Julie