Monday, February 7, 2011

Honiara Woman's Daybook

For today...Monday, February 7, 2011




Outside my window...dark, rainy, and lots of dogs howling




I am thinking...about how much we are enjoying Pearable's "Lessons in Responsibility" for boys and girls




I am praying for...Aaron as he helps teach in the Translation Principles workshop this week




I am going...to tuck kids in bed




From the learning rooms...Olivia beginning Singapore 3A for math, continuing our study of Africa, Katherine finishing up her Five Senses unit, making a mobile in the style of Alexander Calder




I am thankful for...Wycliffe Associates who come to the Solomon Islands to give of their own money, time and energy to further Bible translation




I am remembering...how much better I feel when I've gone to bed on time the night before!




From the kitchen...Olivia will make French toast for breakfast in the morning, and I'll make teryaki chicken for supper




I am reading..."Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen




I am hoping...that apples show up in town this week so I can preserve them (although I passed on some apples that came in on air freight, US$2-3 an apple is too much to pay!)




I am creating...food to nurture my family while we are in Marulaon




On my mind...my dad and my sister-in-law's upcoming birthdays. I haven't mailed any presents yet, sorry!




Noticing that...rainy season is soooo good for me! Cooler nights and full rain tanks mean a happier me.




Pondering these words..."And so I learned that what makes any calling noble is its being commanded by God, and what makes anything good is its being given by God; and that honest contentment consists not in persuading ourselves that our things are the very best in the world, but in believing they are the best for us, and giving God thanks for them." Elizabeth Rundle Charles, "From Dark to Dawn"


I am hearing...rain dripping outside, what a nice sound!




Around the house...lots of ants that seem to be carnivorous, meat attracts them in swarms!




One of my favorite things...care packages. I know I say it a lot, but we are so encouraged by the thoughts and prayers behind every box.




A few plans for the rest of the week...dehydrating lots of pineapple and a little bit of broccoli that just came in on air freight, enjoying plenty of company as we finish up our time in Honiara, celebrating an early 50th birthday of a SITAG friend




Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...
a great couple from Australia who have been helping with the new Translation Center and with the Educational Resource Center's library

6 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Thankful with you for the cooler nights!

Anonymous said...

I just read Sense and Sensibility, too! I love your journal entries; they give me a peek into your daily life in a way that's rare. Thanks for being so faithful with this blog, Jo. It's wonderful for those of us who follow you from here (and there are many). Love, Liss

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm glad YOU'RE glad for rain ;D

quilt'n-mama said...

Way to go Olivia! Glad for cooler temps for you and rain as well! I am thankful that people bless you all with care packages to encourage you and glad we get to too!

Kecia said...

That is a great quote. I may have to re-post it on my fbk!

The dB family said...

Ohhhh, I love that quote! I'm going to have to print it out and hand it on the fridge.

There is a package in the mail as of last week :o).

On that note, I am going to bed as I agree. On time nights equal a better me the next day.

Blessings, sweet friend!
Deborah