Sunday, August 29, 2010

Marulaon Woman's Daybook



For today...Monday, August 16



Outside my window...Olivia sitting in our new ila (hammock/net) reading a book, a steady stream of visitors to the rain tanks, newly transplanted seedlings



I am thinking...about the lack of water in the Russells. School was canceled for the 1st and 2nd graders last week and this week because the school has no water.

I am wearing...sour, sweaty clothes

I am praying for...the family who lost their son last week. Extended family continues to come into Marulaon to mourn. Most of Jakob's brothers and a grandmother all from Makira arrived yesterday on the Bikoi.

I am thankful for...the rain we got last night. Looks like we might finally be in the pattern of sun during the day and rain at night.

From the kitchen...using up the end of our supplies as we plan to go back to Honiara next week, baking a cake tomorrow to help the 6th graders celebrate as they finish testing, yesterday we enjoyed a yummy pizza with some of our own bell peppers on top

I am reading..."Stradivarius: Five Violins, One Cello, and a Genius" by Tony Faber. I picked this up in a second-hand bookstore in Honiara before the store went out of business. This book makes me miss playing my cello soooo much. I will definitely be finding a practice room for these rusty fingers soon after we arrive back in the States on furlough in 2012.

On my mind...being flexible again. Because of the week-long mourning period, most of the village will stay home this week. So, going back to my garden to burn and plant will have to wait until Saturday. I'm going to be cutting it close!

Noticing that...last weekend, we had nothing extra on the calendar (a first for this trip!), and it felt so good just to rest.

One of my favorite things...friends willing to help out. The shade for the Chinese cabbage fell over last night in the heavy rain, so I had to ask for help. Two of my neighbors rebuilt it in no time this morning!

A few plans for the rest of the week...packing, cleaning, and counting

Here's a picture though I am sharing with you...



God's creation of Chinese cabbage - the leaves make any water go right down to the roots, amazing!

1 comment:

The dB family said...

God's creation is so amazing!

Blessings!
Deborah