Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Honiara Woman's Daybook



For today...Tuesday, June 15

Outside my window...a rapidly draining water tank. SITAG is hosting fourteen guys for the SIBTLP workshop and eleven Wycliffe Associates in addition to our regular crew.

I am thinking...about my friends in Marulaon and hoping they haven't forgotten about me

I am thankful for...cloudy days.

I am praying for...my children to be peacemakers (I Peter 3:8-9).

I am wearing...burgundy t-shirt, floral knee-length skirt, both from the second hand store here in Honiara, and new flip-flops from Aaron's mom
I am creating...quart jars full of orange jewels (carrots and pumpkins).
I am going...to buy running shoes. I love my Tevas, but they aren't made for running up and down Honiara's rocky dirt roads.

From the kitchen...lasagna, salad, and pineapple tonight for supper, LOTS of baking as we finish out our time in Honiara where we don't have to worry about emptying the gas cylinder

I am reading..."Wild West: Rainforests of Western Solomon Islands" by Patrick G. Pikacha

I am hearing...banging and sawing because of all the construction going on around us

I am remembering...watching Lakers/Celtics games with my Dad when I was a girl. Larry Bird was my hero. Go Celtics!

From the learning rooms...finishing up Honiara school this week. A visiting teacher arrives today to hold some special workshops for the SITAG kids over the next month, so our kids will enjoy her company next week while Aaron, Katherine, and I pack.

Around the house...five 10-kilo bags of flour to be put into buckets to freeze, twenty-three 1-kilo bags of rice to freeze, ad nauseum

On my mind...nourishing me and my family physically, emotionally, mentally, & spiritually. I don't feel up to the task.

Noticing that...it's getting harder and harder to stay in touch with family and friends around the world

Pondering these words..."Still He hates the sins of His people, and uses all kinds of inward and outward pains and friefs to wean their hearts from compromise and disobedience. Still He seeks fellowship of His people, and sends them both sorrows and joys in order to detach their love from other things and attach it to Himself." J.I. Packer

One of my favorite things...watching my husband play basketball with the guys on our tiny SITAG court nestled into the side of the hill

A few plans for the rest of the week...picking up some more Wycliffe Associates this afternoon at the airport, hosting the visiting teacher for lunch each day the rest of this week, canning the carrots (the shipment came in!), making snacks for the SIBTLP guys working on the Gospel of John, saying goodbye to a precious SITAG family who has finished their New Testament and is moving to Papua New Guinea


Here's a picture thought I am sharing...

a birthday present and much needed reminder from a sweet SITAG friend

3 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Was it your b'day recently, Joanna?

Thinking of you and all your packing,

Julie

Abi's Blog said...

Praying for you and your family today.
blessings,
ava

The dB family said...

I believe God knew I needed to see that scripture passage! Thank you again for sharing your lives with us! Praying that your preparations go well and for your continued safety and language learning.

Blessings!
Deborah