Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Honiara Woman's Daybook


For today...June 9, 2010

Outside my window...a few gray clouds and some thunder off in the distance

I am thinking...about the feasibility of (don't laugh) training for a 5K in September in Honiara. The Fly Solomons Half Marathon and Fun Runs would fall just after we came back to Honiara and just before we left for Australia. There is a 2K race for the kids, so if we can continue to exercise while we are in Marulaon (very counter-cultural), our whole family can participate in the race.

I am thankful for...the times when the internet does connect

I am praying for...rain, none in Honiara for two weeks, which means that Marulaon probably hasn't had any rain either. Schools here are letting out early because they don't have enough water, and the hospital doesn't have water, either.

I am wearing...denim wrap-around skirt, yellow t-shirt, turtle-shell earrings

I am creating...boxes to go to Marulaon

I am going...to be hosting lots of "good-bye" company as we prepare to go back to the village

I am reading..."Ten Things I Want my Daughter to Know" by Annie Chapman

I am hoping...that a new shipment of carrots comes in soon so I can begin canning

I am hearing...ceiling fans, kids playing outside, I love this time of day!

I am remembering...my fabulous and faithful walking buddies from seminary days as I begin to train for the upcoming race
From the learning rooms...finishing up "The Hobbit" this week, Olivia learning her 3's times tables, Benjamin finishing up another level of piano books that I used almost 30 years ago, Sarah diligently typing away (she's up to 25 WPM most days!), Katherine absorbing everything in her environment and loving painting, singing, counting, cutting...

From the kitchen...taking a friend out for lunch before she flies to Australia this afternoon, company for supper (and we're having breakfast!)

Around the house...chaos is beginning as we reach the crazy stage of village preparation again. It kinda takes over our lives and our house!

On my mind...the spiritual training of my children. I don't want them to get lost in all of the coming and going of our many moves.

Noticing that...I tend to look to things, good things, before I seek the Lord as my refuge - an air conditioned store to escape the heat when we're in town, a nice candle to escape the smell - instead of just enjoying those lovely gifts He has given me and choosing to make Him my only rock and refuge.

Pondering these words..."Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." Ps. 62: 5-8

One of my favorite things...running into people from the Russells in Honiara's Central Market. This morning I found a girl from Louna in the West Russells who was selling some seluk (sea snails), so I bought a heap. It was really nice to hear Lavukaleve again.
A few plans for the rest of the week...staff meeting this afternoon, CHED (children's education) committee meeting tomorrow afternoon, company Thursday and Saturday, motu party on Saturday, big feast at church on Sunday to celebrate St. Barnabas

Here is a picture I am sharing...
sorry, the computer isn't liking to upload photos

1 comment:

The dB family said...

I can only imagine that the packing and unpacking every couple of months is somewhat similar to preparing for a camping trip -- only much more complex. At least if I forget something, there is usually a grocery store or pharmacy within driving distance. You must make lots and lots of lists. I can see why preparing to again would take over.

Blessings!
Deborah