Monday, November 30, 2009

Bibisa

"Bibisav" (the "b" sound is a cross between a "b" and a "v", and the "v" on the end of the word indicates plural) abound here.  Everywhere we turn, we find flowers of some sort.  The beautiful orange one is in our backyard, one of the many planted by Pogo. 
 
The delicate red flowers were a real surprise to me.  We've been cultivating several of the plants whose broad leaves are used for the motu (cooking with hot stones).  When I took a walk around the island over the weekend, I discovered that they produce a lovely big red flower.  I'm looking forward to the time when our bushes get big enough to flower.
 
The white bushy flower (I think they look like exploding hot dogs) will become kino (cutnut in English or galip in Tok Pisin).  These blooms are abundant - fifteen or twenty on each tree - and they affect our sinuses like crazy!  Our kids really like to open and eat the nuts, and the trees produce nuts every few months here in Marulaon, yum.

1 comment:

Nahna said...

I cannot wait to see the gorgeous flowers that you all have there...just pray that they will be blooming when we are there.

Missing you all.