Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today...Saturday, August 1

Outside my window...beautiful moon rising in a BRIGHT blue sky, my big kids splashing in an incredibly clear ocean with friends

I am thinking...about the family who lost their young son (late teens) this morning. He had been sick for three days, and yesterday the family called in the man who practices custom medicine. At 7:15 this morning, I heard the wails begin and knew somebody had died. Then our house girl showed up early to tell us that her cousin had died, so she couldn't help us today. I grieve for the family, but especially for the lies that still masquerade as truth here.

From the learning rooms... a short school week due to packing and moving, traveling overnight on a boat, and unpacking

I am thankful for...a great market this morning: pineapple, fish, bananas, green beans, urio, papaya, tomatoes, eggplant, bei, green beans, & cassava

From the kitchen...cleaning out the fridge since we will unplug it to defrost before we leave (and somehow I've stocked up on loads of green beans, so we still have seven bundles in the fridge that need to be eaten)

I am wearing...purple skirt, purple floral sleeveless top, and lots of sweat

I am reading..."Secret of Chimneys" by Agatha Christie, a well loved copy that Aaron picked up for me when he was in Europe in 1991

I am hoping...that we don't have to stay up late packing that the Bikoi comes on time (10 p.m.), last week it came at 3 a.m.

I am creating...a meal to take to the family of the deceased

I am hearing...Katherine playing in the sink, mourning cries from across the village

Around the house...boxes and piles and lists and dirty dishes

One of my favorite things...when a neighbor puts her hand on my arm while we talk

A few plans for the rest of the week...returning to life in Honiara, and definitely a trip to Frangipanni Ice for some ice cream

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

This is our newest find at market, wing beans. They cook like green beans (sort of).

2 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

It's so wonderful to be able to read about daily life. Hope your trip to Honiara is safe and can't wait to catch up a bit soon!
Blessings,
The Conards

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Hi again :0)

What a fascinating life you guys have! (Of course "fascinating" can be code for "difficult" at times...) I have to admit my envy at your kids splashing in the clear ocean.

We're heading to the Oregon Coast on Monday, and though it is definitely beautiful, I doubt anyone will be getting wet beyond their knees... brrrr!

I've never seen beans like those! They look more like a curly leaf.

Do I understand correctly that your "base" is in Honiara and you go out to your more remote location for a few weeks at a time? Are you transitioning to moving their F/T, or is it better to go back and forth? No hidden judgment implied, just asking :0)

God be with you,

Julie