Friday, July 31, 2009

escapee urio

Wednesday, July 8
Today at market, I bought some urio (coconut crab). Frequently when my market basket gets full with large produce, Aaron takes it back up the hill and brings it back empty for a refill. He carted it back and forth several times today and took the urio up as well (I even learned how to say, "Hold it well so it doesn't bite you!" in Lavukaleve.) When I finally came back to the house after gathering some more language data and visiting with friends, it was time for radio sked with SITAG. So I quickly started on supper so we could eat before Evening Prayer, and Aaron got on the radio. All of the sudden, the board that we keep learned up against the fridge (to prevent burns from the heating element) fell over with a clatter. I looked to see what had happened and found a huge urio climbing up the back of the fridge! I took over on the radio so Aaron could catch the crab - Aaron is great at avoiding the pinchers. He quickly captured our meal, and we found the vines and the !
bag that the urio had shed in its bid for freedom. Now we know to cook the urio right away so it doesn't have a chance to become an escape artist. Can't wait to tell our neighbors about this one!

1 comment:

Adam and Ruth said...

Hey guys, this one really made me laugh! Not every day that your food runs away on you... ~Ruth