Monday, July 6, 2009

Choate family bakery



Saturday, June 20
Yesterday, we received a bunch of bananas, and we had just been given a beautiful basket of mogea, so we decided to make muffins to take down to market. This morning at 7:45, there was a knock on our door, and Melody stood there to tell us that all of the ladies were down at the market waiting for us to bring banana cake to sell! We had just started baking when she came, so we told her to tell the ladies it would be a while, but we would be there. We brought the batches of banana and mogea muffins down in shifts as they came out of the oven, and they were snatched up within seconds. Each muffin sells for one Solomon Dollar (about 12 cents). After we sold about four dozen, we ran out, and I had to explain that baking used a lot of gas. I could either bake a whole bunch now and run out of gas soon, or I could bake a little bit for each market while we were in Marulaon.

 
Last night after Evening Prayer, Skita asked me if I would make a birthday cake for her nephew who was turning three. I told her that I would love to make it as my gift to him, and we discussed what flavor she wanted and the shape of the cake. So today, Sarah and I (mostly Sarah) made a chocolate bundt cake, and tomorrow we will ice it after church.

2 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

So what you need is a dutch oven recipe so you can bake over an open fire - well, that an a dutch oven, I guess! :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to be getting entries on the blog now. It is difficult to be "in the dark" about your daily life after hearing so regularly while in Honiara. What a blessing you are to so many.

I love each of you.
Nahna