Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Shells




Wednesday, April 29
Bought a BIG crab today at the market...so big that we had to put a rock on top of the pot to keep it from crawling out. They didn't have any fruits or veggies today, but the seafood here is amazing and inexpensive. Aaron has been working on installing the screens. The house sits on a hill, so he has to balance the ladder on a box to install the screens on the back of the house. The kids have been bringing home these amazing and really big shells. When the neighborhood kids found out that our kids liked the shells, they began bringing shells to our veranda by the armful. I finally had to say "vausa" or enough!

Thursday, April 30
Decided to turn off the fridge because the solar cells aren't doing well. We are back to living with no electricity or oven or washing machine, but I'm thankful that we have a great house and running water (if we pump it to the roof often enough!). People have been asking us since we got here when we were going to start hiring a house girl, I think now is a good time. The chief's wife, Janet, went around Marulaon and asked if anyone was interested in helping us. She brought me a list of eight girls who will work on a trial basis. I can choose my favorite or continue to rotate them. I visited with her about how much to pay and told her that I thought Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings would be plenty. I know my Pijin is bad, but somehow she understood that I meant I wanted to have the girls come for three days at a time. So, now we will have someone come tomorrow, Saturday, and Monday for her first trial run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanna,
Thanks so much for all your vivid descriptions of what you guys have been doing! I feel like Im actually there! How long will you be staying in Honiara before going back? It sounds like you had a great time (and lots of work too). It sounds like language learning is going well as well. God is Good. Love, Noel and Catharine