Sunday, April 5, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook


Please swing by Peggy's to explore the other daybooks.


For Today...Monday, April 6


Outside my window...a beautiful sunshiney morning, workers carrying things to and fro (there's always work to be done on the SITAG property)

I am thinking...about the amazing Palm Sunday service yesterday - hundreds of people marching down the street and waving palm branches while singing praises, choruses that brought tears to my eyes because we learned them at our sweet church in Dallas, a responsive reading through Jesus' trial and conviction that brought the congregation to life as I've never seen them before, communion offered to an overflowing building and people sitting outside, Katherine making new friends that helped me practice my Pijin, all totaling a three hour service


From the learning rooms...lots of stuff as we study the late 1800s, and maybe Good Friday off!


I am thankful for...the technology that made it possible for us to hear snippets of my sister's senior cello recital yesterday (played on my old cello, thanks, Rachel). Even though we heard very little, and my heart was breaking because I was the only one not there, my brother tried again and again to connect as Skype kept kicking us off. It was a sweet few minutes, and I'm grateful.


From the kitchen...loads of Easter baking this week to share with friends, French Breakfast Puffs for breakfast, and tonight, red snapper, pumpkin (think squash), papaya, and slippery cabbage


I am wearing...khaki skirt, blue t-shirt, a beaded bracelet from a friend in Memphis, bare feet


I am reading..."The Shaping of a Christian Family" by Elisabeth Elliot


I am hoping...that the rest of Katherine's teeth break through soon!


I am creating...a chart to tell me how many eggs, packages of pasta, cups of flour, sugar, milk powder, TVP, etc. I need to take out to Marulaon


I am hearing...dishes being washed, Katherine jabbering, Sarah whistling, birds chirping as they welcome the morning


Around the house...stacks of books with their color coded labels patiently waiting to be loaded into boxes for their trip to Marulaon


One of my favorite things...the sun setting over the mountains of Guadalcanal



A few plans for the rest of the week...making enough granola for our time in Marulaon, packing, organizing a load of books donated to the Educational Resource Center next door, celebrating Easter with my family through special devotionals, crafts, and cooking


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...





Katherine loves to snap green beans (and she is good at it, too!), here she is helping Sarah and a neighbor prepare green beans for supper

6 comments:

Ruthanne said...

I'll take a dozen French Breakfast puffs - and the red snapper sounds fabulous, too!

The Hibbard Family said...

Your Palm Sunday celebration brought tears to my eyes and remembrance. We were never free to celebrate in the streets, but the celebration inside the churches with the palm branches was beautiful. I miss that - I wish our churches here could catch that vision for celebration!

Joanna Allen said...

Jo, my heart ached for you as I read about your attempt at hearing Rachel's recital. It's those special days, when you're the only one missing, that are most difficult. (At least for me, that is.) I think my hardest two days here were the day Sam graduated and my granny's funeral. Holidays come every year, but those "one-time-events" are hard to miss! But even in these times, God's grace is sufficient! PTL. Of course I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Just wanted you to know that I know how you feel and that I'm praying for you. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Does she like to eat raw ones too? It appears that she may have just tasted the one she has in her hand...not too good raw????


Love the picture...thanks for your sharing.

Love you...Mom/Nahna

PS Tell the kids that I am thinking of them and that I love them...my sweet son too.

Choate Family said...

No, K doesn't eat them raw, she just snaps them into bite size pieces and drops them into the bowl! At this rate, she'll be cooking supper by the time she's two :)

Lisa said...

I would like to have experienced your Palm Sunday. Our service was very good yesterday.
I so enjoy your blog.
Your space here is very sweet and I pray God's presence in every step of the work your family is doing now and for health and peace as you go through this transition.