Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What Shall We Do With a Drunken Sailor?

An interjection by Aaron, of his recent outing...


This is a shot of the vessel on which Henk and I traveled to the Russells. When we learned of it and I first talked to the crew, I was a little nervous. The ships in my 'vast' sea travel experiences have been getting smaller and slower. This is a wooden vessel that made me think of the S.S. Minnow for some odd reason. I was just hoping that we did not end up with the same fate. As to the question, what shall we do with the drunken sailor, well, that was the question of the crew the night we were to leave. He delayed our leaving by an hour and a half. At one point the second-language-Pijin-speaking-drunk-sailor was sitting on the railing of the ship, doing his best to befriend Henk, my Holland-born-Canadian-immigrant-second-language-English-speaking-house-building partner. Linguistically, I was very amused and intrigued, and felt very sorry for Henk. As the conversation and delays continued I actually considered pushing the guy overboard so we could just get going. Little did I know that he would, only a few minutes later, jump on his own accord. Sure enough, right after the splash off we went. However, the vessel, as aforementioned, is not that quick, and Henk's "new best friend", was able to swim over and get back on board. Thankfully, the rest of the night was uneventful. The following morning was a blessing in the east Russells. I got to see villages in the east side, which was a big help for me, and we watched a pod of dolphins frolic in front of the ship.


The rest of the trip was a lot of work. Not many pictures were taken because both eligible photographers were always working. We found a rhythm of working electrical and plumbing in the day time and walls at night. We were devastated to discover on Sunday night that the ship we anticipated taking back to Honiara was going to arrive a day early. What a bummer, my mind started spinning with all the things undone. We scrambled to complete all we could and to only start what we could drop if we needed to make a dash for the ship if it arrived. After two very tired workmen assembled a bunk bed, the night passed with no ship. The next day we found out the ship was back on the expected schedule and our lost day was suddenly gifted back to us. Thank you to all who were praying! So, Tuesday morning found us working to see if we could finish up the plumbing system after all. This involved a lovely orange tree, a not so level plank, a ladder missing a rung, and me on top of the roof mounting our gravity powered solar heated water system. Don't worry, I was not quite as close to the edge of the roof as it looks like I was : )



So, five days of work this trip, eight days total, lots of successes, a few disappointments, one bird checking out the new yellow walls and a sneaky little rat who just can't get the hint that he is not wanted, our crowning achievement was seeing this running water out of the kitchen tap. Well, what have I learned...I am not a plumber, electrician, or carpenter, but I have learned a lot...I can still work 16-17 hour days, but I am a lot more tired at the end of them...I thrive being a husband and dad, boy it was hard leaving them this time...
This was probably my one shot to give my four Blessings and my Reward the dream house I feel they deserve. It is not going to be what I envisioned, but I hope that with every speck of paint splatter on the window, every light fixture that sags just a bit, the toilet paper holder that is slightly not level...(I want to cry as I write this)...may all the labor of these days not be in vain, but truly be what God himself has done (Psalms 127:1) and may those that I learn to love more every day lie down in peace and sleep, and with contentment and assurance dwell in the safety that God alone has and will provide (Psalms 4).

5 comments:

Ruthanne said...

Aw. Very, very sweet! How much longer before y'all move in?

quilt'n-mama said...

I LOVE the yellow kitchen walls!!! We have been praying for you guys and the house! Can't wait to visit it someday!!!!
Love you guys!
The C family!

Anonymous said...

Aaron, I am so proud of you...God Himself is in your words...you glorify the Lord in what you do...doing it for Him.
I love the pictures...the boat is sort of what I expected from what you had said in the email...I am certainly glad that it was sea worthy.
I know that your "dream house" will be a wonderful HOME full of love as you make the house your HOME.
God bless you each and every one.
Mom

Arin Rollins said...

Aaron, you're the man! What an awesome husband and father. I'm so glad God blessed your trip and your family with your safe return!

Christy said...

Thanks Aaron....I can't get "Drunken Sailor" lyrics out of my head!!

I agree, the yellow walls look so cheerful! Glad to see that it is coming along nicely.




Put him in the hull with an angry weasel....Put him in the hull with an angry weasel......Put him in the hull with an angry weasel.....Early in the morning....