Monday, January 12, 2009

He popped the question (twelve years ago)!

"How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways....
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight. "
Twelve years ago today, Aaron asked me to marry him. The funny thing is that our "proposal-versary" was supposed to be January 10th! Aaron had my engagement ring made using a diamond from his mother, and when he went to pick up the ring he found the store had been closed for the day. So, we still enjoyed a fancy date (with me wondering all the while when he was going to get down on one knee). Three days later, Aaron picked up the ring, and he came to my apartment with Yarnell's Rocky Road ice cream in hand. His dad had said to make sure to propose in a romantic way! I was wearing sweats, eating leftovers, and watching "Wheel of Fortune". Aaron said our past had been rocky, we could eat the "Rocky Road" ice cream in the present, and the ring was the rock of our future.
Could I ever have imagined we would be translating Bibles in the Solomon Islands? Nope. Would I say "yes" all over again. You bet. Thanks for twelve amazing years, Aaron. I'm so glad you asked me to join you in this journey of life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that he proposed to you too. What an awesome "match"...and God knew all the time exactly what would be the future for you two and your family. The rocky road has been for all of us, for different reasons, but the path is lighted with all kinds of brightness too.

Congratulations to you both. I love you,
Mom/Nahna

Four of the bright spots have names...Sarah, Benjamin, Olivia, and Katherine.

Anonymous said...

Happy Proposalversary!! I can not believe it has been twelve years. It just seems like the other day!! I miss you guys!! I had a dream the other day that I came to visit. Hugs all the children and tell them I said hello!!
Love ya!!
Kathryn

Christy said...

All together now....aaaawwwww!

Happy "Proposalversary"!

S and J said...

I love the "rocky road" and "rock"! So creative. Ya'll are awesome and we love you!

quilt'n-mama said...

Congrats you guys! Thanks for being a great example to us and wonderful friends! China is going well, please continue to pray for Nate's little heart, sorry I am not getting people emailed, etc. just trying to keep pictures posted.
We can't wait to catch up!
Gayly for the Conards