Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It’s been a whirlwind weekend, and now we are trying to finish our packing and preparations for village living. Here is a brief overview of the things we will be trying to accomplish while we are there:

Week 1 (Oct. 23-29)
Begin visiting with the people and making friends
Get settled
Spend one day in the gardens with people
Begin cultural observations

Week 2 (Oct. 30-Nov. 5)
Map of the village
Kinship chart
Cultural observations
Tape and begin transcribing Tok Pisin stories
Learn a skill (bilum making, house building, arrow making gardening, traditional cooking, etc.)

Week 3 (Nov. 6-12)
MIDWAY VISIT
(Have map, cultural observations, kinship charts, skill report, and texts ready to hand in.)
Continue with transcribing stories
Begin survey
Begin formulating case study

Week 4 (Nov. 13-19)
Language learning
Survey
Case study

Week 5 (Nov. 20-27)
Complete and write up all assigments
Pack up in village and prepare to leave


We covet your prayers and look forward to rejoicing with you when we return on Thanksgiving Day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Mom's tears are rolling down my face as I read the blog entries today. You all have so much to do and little time of five weeks to do it. I will be praying for you each day. God has been faithful to you all the way and I know that he will be through this time...yet another time of transition and learning.

Hugs and kisses to all.

Love you,
Mom/Nahna

TheHarriman Family said...

Have a wonderful village visit! We will miss your blog entires while you are away. We will pray for you!

Anonymous said...

Hello there. My email messages are bouncing back...two of the last three have come back...I will try Joanna's mailbox and see if that works...

Love you. I know this is a stressful time, but am praying for you all.
You should be sound asleep now and anticipating a big day of moving.

Safe journey and God's speed.

Mom

Joanna Allen said...

Just wanted to say that we are praying for you each and every day between now and T-giving Day. I'm praying that the Lord will show Himself in ways you've never known Him before. Love you guys!

Shaundra said...

I have the ladybug pie plate that Joanna gave me hanging in my kitchen. Everytime I pass by it, I say a prayer for each of you. We love you. God bless your time of learning and transition.

Anonymous said...

Hi to the Choates! I got to your blog via a Pastor's blog in Monticello, AR, (the town we lived in for 10 years before coming to Brazil) who has a link to yours, so he apparently knows you! (Just figured there weren't too many Choates so I was hoping it was you.) We have been getting your emails, but had forgotten you started a blog, since you started it way before we started ours.

We are excited for you in all that you are doing. We will be praying for you regularly. May God bless your dear family!