Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Corps of Discovery

As you know, we are studying Lewis & Clark's expedition right now in history. Their team was known as the "Corps of Discovery". I was reading in Joshua this morning, and I was struck at the similarities between the Children of Israel, the Corps of Discovery, and our family. Please don't think me a heretic! We have a huge adventure of the unknown ahead of us, and so did they. Joshua 1:9 is one of Benjamin's memory verses this year, but I never really paid attention to verse 8 until it jumped up and smacked me this morning.

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do eveything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:8-9
The key to the victory on our journey into the unknown is 1) to not let God's Word depart from our mouths, 2) to meditate on His Word, and 3) to make sure we follow it. Then we can be strong and courageous because we know we are doing exactly what God wants for us. So as you continue to pray for family, please add these verses to your arsenal!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Thanks for the good reminders. We have some friends leaving for mission work in So. Africa today and I will pass on your reflections to them. I'm having trouble remembering to not let God's word depart from my mouth. I get frustrated when my sinful heart speaks first. It's been a rough week at the center. Major employee issues and we are all feeling the stress. Pray for us too.